If your goal is to get in shape and eliminate the fat accumulated in the belly area, it is important that you start doing sit-ups
When we do abdominal exercises, we often work the upper and lower ones, but we forget a very important area: the oblique or lateral abdominals. And if your goal is to achieve a sculpted torso and define your abdomen, it is essential that you work all the muscle groups in the area to help eliminate accumulated fat and strengthen muscles.
In this article we are going to discover you 4 basic oblique abdominal exercises with which you will improve muscle tone and show off a chocolate bar when you go to the beach. Take note!
Oblique abs routine to tone the lateral torso
If your goal is to get in shape and eliminate the fat accumulated in the belly area, it is important that you start doing sit-ups. However, do not settle for doing only 3 sets, but what you must pursue is to work the three muscle groups that are in the area: the lower and upper abs, and the obliques or sides.
Next, we are going to offer you 4 oblique abdominal exercises that you can incorporate into your routines so that, in this way, you really work this area of the body and reduce the accumulation of fat and love handles. Start taking care of yourself now!
“Foot to foot” (or foot on foot)
The name of this exercise is very revealing and tells us exactly what to do: the movement of the body will go from foot to foot to get the lateral to work. To do this exercise well, you must follow these steps:
1. Lie on your back on the mat and bend your knees
2. Now, raise your torso as if you were doing a crunch and, keeping your body elevated, touch your right ankle with your right hand.
3. Then switch hands and touch the left ankle with your left hand
4. The objective is that you touch each ankle 20 times without resting your back on the ground at any time
Another of the best exercises to get oblique abs is the side plank. The planks are in fashion, since it is an ideal isometric exercise to work the whole body in a static way. To do this exercise, follow these steps:
1. Lie on your side on the mat and, now, with an impulse, raise your body keeping it on your side
2. Lean on your forearm or hand, depending on how strong you are.
3. The objective is to hold 30 seconds in this position, static and without falling to the ground or losing balance
4. When you are done with one side, turn to the other side and repeat the exercise
The scissors is another of the best exercises for the abdominals and, if we want to work the lateral abdominals, nothing better than doing this exercise following these instructions:
1. Lie on your side on a mat
2. Now, rest your head on your hand aligning the shoulder with your neck
3. In this position, begin to raise the leg that you have higher up, without rushing and lifting it as much as you can.
4. Repeat the movement 20 times, then switch legs
5. If you want to add more intensity, put a band on your legs to work more
We finish with an exercise called “The bicycle” and that is a classic in any fitness or toning class. The movement mimics that of pedaling a bicycle and, hence, the name. Do the following:
1. Lay on your back on the mat and raise your legs creating a 90 degree angle
2. Now, raise your torso and start doing the bicycle movement with your legs.
3. The objective is that you try to touch the left knee with your right elbow and vice versa.
4. You will notice how the obliques work to the maximum and how the area, every time, itches more.
5. Do 20 reps on each side and rest.