A Man Dies In a Fire Inside a Tesla When The Futuristic Car Doors Do Not Open

The relatives of Omar Awan, a 48-year-old American father of five children, filed a complaint on October 10 against the next-generation car manufacturer Tesla, who they accuse of not having reported the defects of the Model S. Those defects, consider, resulted in the death of Omar, reports The Washington Post.

RELATED

According to the complaint, last February Awan was driving his Tesla in South Florida when he lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a palm tree. The family of the deceased believes that Omar did not die as a result of the impact, but because of the fire caused by the lithium-ion battery, from which the driver could not escape because the car doors did not open.

The family's lawyer, Stuart Grossman, states that smoke and flames filled the car, and that Awan died from suffocation and burns. The results of the medical autopsy confirm that version. Passers-by who became witnesses to the accident, as well as the police who arrived at the scene, also failed to open the car doors from outside to get the man out, due to the sophisticated system of the opening handles. "The flames engulfed the car and burned Awan leaving it unrecognizable, and all because the Model S has inaccessible door handles, there is no other way to open the doors and [there is] an unreasonably dangerous fire hazard," the complaint states.

Stuart Grossman points out that the deceased had bought a Tesla car because "he was aware of the environment and worried about safety." Earlier, the electric vehicle manufacturer announced that the Model S had obtained "the best safety rating of all tested cars."

This is not the first case of this type. Recently, the parents of a young man who died in the same Model S also sued Tesla for homicide and neglect. According to them, a defective battery generated a "thermal leak" that caused the death of his son.

SEARCH FOR MORE

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE