After Sexual Harassment Scandal, Plácido Domingo Withdraws From Another Opera


Previously, the tenor left his presentations at the Los Angeles campus and now it is the turn of the London headquarters.

The Spanish tenor Placido Domingo, accused of sexual harassment, will not act in the opera Don Carlo, scheduled in July at the Royal Opera House in London, announced on Friday the prestigious British theater in a statement.

RELATED

“We will announce the casting for his role in ‘Don Carlo’ in due course,” said the Royal Opera house, underlining that the decision was taken by mutual agreement w ith the tenor.

The institution “did not receive any complaint of misconduct against the teacher Sunday during the time that has passed in the Royal Opera House, over decades of career, “he stressed.

The tenor of 79 years is immersed, since August, in a scandal after about twenty women accused him of handling them, kissing them forcibly or blackmailing them in incidents that, in some cases, date back 30 years.

Initially, Sunday He rejected it categorically, but 10 days ago he was surprised to issue a statement in which he said he felt “the suffering” caused to these women, and said he assumed “full responsibility for (his) actions.”

However, he later considered that his apologies had given a false impression: “I have never behaved aggressively with anyone, and I have never done anything to obstruct or harm anyone’s career.”

Already in October, and in the face of the scandal generated, Sunday He had to give up the direction of the Los Angeles opera, which he had been performing since 2003, and saw how he was canceled in other cities in the United States.

And at the end of February he announced the cancellation of his performances in the Royal Theater of Madrid and other uncomfortable lyrical scenarios with the accusations made against him.

“I will withdraw from the performances in theaters and companies that have difficulties in carrying out those commitments,” he said then.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE