Washington – Several advisers close to the Vice President of the United States, Mike Pence, including his chief of staff, have tested positive for COVID-19, official sources reported this Saturday, less than a month after a source of infections from the illness in the White House.
The vice president and his wife, Karen, tested negative for COVID-19 this Saturday and Pence plans to maintain his busy travel and rallies schedule despite having been in close contact with at least one of those infected, the White House said. .
“Marc Short, the vice president’s chief of staff, tested positive for COVID-19 today, began a quarantine, and is assisting in the contact tracing process,” Pence spokesman Devin O’Malley said in a late statement. Saturday time.RELATED
“The Vice President and Mrs. Pence tested negative today for COVID-19, and they are in good health. Although Vice President Pence is considered to be a close contact with Mr. Short, after consulting with the White House Medical Unit, the Vice President will keep his agenda ”as planned, O’Malley added.
The announcement came shortly after multiple outlets revealed that another adviser close to Pence, Marty Obst, tested positive last week. The New York Times reported that in total there are three infected.
Obst traveled with Pence last week and on October 15 he was at a fundraising event with the vice president and President Donald Trump at the president’s club in Doral, Florida, but the White House considers that both were not. close enough, ABC News reported.
Pence held two rallies this Saturday in the key state of Florida, and plans to lead two separate campaign events this Sunday in North Carolina and this Monday in Minnesota, according to Trump’s reelection campaign.
This is not the first time that an advisor to the vice president has contracted COVID-19: His communication director, Katie Miller, contracted the disease last May. That official is married to the president’s top immigration adviser, Stephen Miller, who also tested positive two weeks ago.
Trump himself was infected in late September, as did his wife, Melania, who this week canceled a planned trip to Pennsylvania due to what his spokesperson described as a “persistent cough.”
The COVID-19 outbreak at the White House affected nearly 30 people who were in direct or indirect contact with Trump, including several senators and White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany.
However, the White House hardly changed its protocols to deal with the pandemic after the incident, and Trump and Pence immediately resumed the rallies in front of hundreds of people, in which social distance is hardly maintained and few masks are used.
With information from EFE.