Austin Ekeler Agrees Four Years With Los Angeles Chargers

COSTA MESA, Clif. – The good season of Austin Ekeler with Los Angeles Chargers, has resulted in a contract extension.

The broker agreed to a four-year contract with the Chargers for $ 24.5 million, including 15 guaranteed. Ekeler was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent when he officially started the new season of the league on March 18.

“It’s overwhelming, but a relief,” Ekeler said during a conference call on Friday. “We were coming and going for a month. At first we were quite far away, but once we got closer, it began to become a real possibility. ”

RELATED

Ekeler was not drafted before being signed by the Chargers in 2017. He went from being a special team player to a threat in the ‘backfield’ throughout his third season. He was seventh in the league and fourth in the AFC this season with 1,550 yards (557 hauled and 993 by air). He also scored 11 touchdowns.

Ekeler will have a leading role in the Chargers offense that will have many changes as they prepare to move to a new stadium in Hollywood Park. The franchise will have a new quarterback after announcing last month that they will not continue with Philp Rivers after a disappointing 5-11 in the season. Los Angeles, who have the sixth pick in the draft, also have an outstanding trade with Carolina and that involves left tackle Russell Okung by guard Trai Turner.

“I can see myself being more a leader,” Ekeler said. “My role will be bigger than last year, with more opportunities.”

Ekeler’s extension would also mean that Melvin Gordon would not remain in the organization. Gordon was out for the first three weeks of the campaign and averaged just 3.8 yards per carry, when he returned. Gordon seeks a multi-year agreement after registering 1,200 land yards in three consecutive seasons from 2016 to 2018.

READ MORE WAB NEWS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE