B. Eugenia Giraldo
THE PATRIA | MANIZALES
Caldas ranked first among the departments with better health risk management, according to eight components analyzed by the National Superintendence of Health.RELATED
This recognition is in addition to the one given by the Thought Center So Let's Go in Health in June of this year for the management to improve its indicators.
For the director of the Territory of Health of Caldas, Gerson Bermont Galavis, these indicators improved since they understood that health is not only handled by "those in white coats." It includes families, education and all the components that are part of self-care. He said that it is key that through the Social Primary Care strategy the Secretariats of Health, Culture, Education, Sports, Social Development and Infrastructure be integrated.
Supersalud evaluated institutional quality processes. In public health, he reviewed components such as low birth weight and maternal, perinatal, cancer, AIDS and malnutrition deaths. In service provision, he reviewed hospitals at risk, paying debts in the public network and the department with the poor unaffiliated population.
Regarding mental health, especially in the face of suicide, Bermont Galavis said the figures do not favor Caldas and that there is a model project that is being developed in Aranzazu and Anserma that should be extended to the entire department.
On HIV, he said that although it is a disease that is already controlled, there is a risk because today people are not taking care of themselves. "We believe that AIDS is no longer among us, so we need to resume prevention campaigns and have a protected sex life." He pointed out that these issues should include the family and the community and that all sectors support self-care.
The doctor Nelson Enrique Arias Ortiz, public health expert and professor at the University of Caldas, recognized Caldas's advances in:
* Monitoring of the health unit to prioritized activities in public health.
* Creation of the intersectoral health table, an instance in which all the offices of the department meet to analyze their aspects.
* Implementation of the strategy of Primary Social Care, whose experiences in Villamaría were recognized by the Pan American Health Organization.
* Insurers have not participated as expected in promotion and prevention, based on a crisis in the insurance sector with the withdrawal of EPS and others such as Medimás, which are headaches in the department.
* Mental health policy has high challenges to be implemented, as the supply of specialists is insufficient.
* Suicide is an unsolved problem, as is the use of psychoactive substances and violence.
* In the cultural part, people have stigma towards mental illness, there is fear of seeking help, and a social signal by the one who shows that they require mental health care.
* Vaccination coverage: 97.17%
* Portion of pregnant women with syphilis screening: 71.58%
* Portion of people not affiliated with the health security system: 0.24
* Mortality rate in children under 5 years in EDA / ARI / malnutrition: 10.34
* Portion of live births with low birth weight and more than 37 weeks gestation: 3.15
Training women in prevention of gender violence in the municipality of La Dorada.