Canadian taxpayers are mostly opposed to sustaining that financial burden.
Canadian authorities announced that their country will not provide special security measures to Prince Henry and his wife, Meghan Markle, once they renounce their status as members of British royalty, on March 31.
Until now, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) has been provid ing protection to the Dukes of Sussex since they moved intermittently to a rented mansion on the island of Vancouver last November.RELATED
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, choosing to move to Canada part-time, raised a set of unique and unprecedented circumstances to our government,” the office of the Minister of Public Security said in a statement to the Canadian network, Bill Blair
The authorities explained that the dukes “are currently recognized as internationally protected persons, and Canada has an obligation to provide security assistance as necessary.”
“The assistance will cease in the coming weeks, according to its change of state,” says the statement.
In January, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the people of Canada would support Prince Enrique and his wife’s move to the North American country. However, the Canadian Federation of Taxpayers previously submitted a petition with 80,000 signatures to the Prime Minister’s Office, insisting that taxpayers’ money from that country should not be given to the couple.