Derek Chauvin To Appeal His Conviction In George Floyd’s Death

Derek Chauvin sentenced to more than 22 years in jail 3:49

(CNN) – Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin plans to appeal his conviction earlier this year on charges in the George Floyd murder. According to a court filing Thursday, Chauvin intends to appeal based on 14 issues with his case, alleging that the court in which he was tried repeatedly “abused his discretion” for numerous reasons, including Chauvin’s denial of a change of venue, the denial of his motion for the jury to remain isolated during the trial, and the denial of his request to a new trial.

Chauvin was sentenced in June to 22 and a half years in prison after being convicted of the charges of accidental manslaughter, unintentional manslaughter with contempt for life and unintentional manslaughter in the commission of a felony, for the death of George Floyd in May 2020.

RELATED

In an affidavit also filed Thursday, Chauvin said he currently did not have an attorney after the Minneapolis Police and Peace Officers Association, which paid for his trial attorney, told Chauvin that his “obligation” to pay for his legal representation “ended with the conviction and sentence.”

Chauvin currently has no income “other than nominal prison wages,” he wrote, so he cannot afford a private attorney for his appeal. However, when he requested a public defender for the appeal in Minnesota, he was denied representation, Chauvin wrote.

Since then, Chauvin has submitted documents to the Minnesota Supreme Court and has asked that the deadline for filing a brief of appeal be suspended until the court reviews his request. Normally, Chauvin would have 90 days from the imposition of his sentence to file an appeal.

Minnesota Deputy Attorney General John Stiles told CNN that the office is currently reviewing Chauvin’s application.

Video of the incident that led to Floyd’s death showed Chauvin kneeling impassively on the 46-year-old black man’s neck and back as he was handcuffed and lying on the street for more than 9 minutes, panting and telling Minneapolis deputies : “I can’t breathe.”

Floyd’s death and the video catalyzed nationwide protests over racial injustice and police brutality. That public attention, along with the city’s announcement during jury selection that it was going to pay $ 27 million in a settlement to Floyd’s family, were among the reasons that Chauvin’s trial attorney, Eric Nelson, had previously requested a change of venue.

Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill rejected the request, saying at the time: “I don’t think there is any place in the state of Minnesota that has not been subjected to an extreme amount of publicity in this case.”

Chauvin’s request on Thursday also runs counter to the fact that the court did not allow him to dismiss jurors who, according to him, were “clearly biased” in the “voir dire,” the process in which people are questioned and examined. potential jurors before being selected. Furthermore, the filing says the court abused its discretion by allowing only limited evidence from a 2019 encounter between Floyd and the police.

Chauvin and the three other former Minneapolis police officers present at Floyd’s death face separate federal charges for the alleged violation of Floyd’s constitutional rights. Chauvin was also indicted in a separate indictment related to the use of unreasonable force on a 14-year-old boy in September 2017. He pleaded not guilty in that case earlier this month.

– CNN’s Omar Jiménez contributed to this report.

READ MORE WAB NEWS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE