Donald Trump Criticizes The Deaths Of Thousands Of Civilians In Rebel Stronghold In Syria

Palm Beach, Florida – President Donald Trump on Thursday criticized the "carnage" suffered by thousands of civilians in a rebel stronghold in Syria and said the Turkish government is "working hard" to stop it.

Russia, Syria, and Iran are killing, or on their way to killing, thousands of innocent civilians in Idlib Province. Don’t do it! Turkey is working hard to stop this carnage.

– Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 26, 2019

RELATED

"Russia, Syria and Iran are killing, or are on their way to kill, thousands of innocent civilians in Idlib province. Don't do it! Turkey is working hard to stop this carnage," he wrote on Twitter.

The tweet referred to an intense attack launched by air and land by Syrian forces in the south and east of the province of Idlib, the last rebel stronghold in Syria.

About a month ago, Syrian government forces launched a renewed effort to capture the province, which is under the control of militiamen linked to al Qaeda and where some 3 million civilians live. The United Nations has warned of the growing risk of a humanitarian catastrophe along the border with Turkey.

On Wednesday, a support group said more than 20,000 men, women and children fled their homes in buses, trucks and cars in recent weeks. It is believed that many are heading to the Turkish border to try to get safe.

Before the ground offensive began a week ago, the United Nations Organization (UN) reported that some 60,000 inhabitants of Idlib had already been displaced since the armed campaign began late last month.

Videos on social networks shared by activists and the Syrian Civil Defense, an organization known as the White Helmets, showed long lines of buses, trucks and cars heading north. People carry their belongings, including suitcases and mattresses.


SEARCH FOR MORE

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

29 − = 24