Donald Trump Government Celebrates Court Ruling On Border Wall – Prensa Libre

Donald Trump will use a millionaire figure to build a wall on the border with Mexico. (Free Press Photo: EFE)

"The federal Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has overturned a restrictive order issued by a lower court and, in doing so, has allowed the continued construction of a wall at the border using funds for military construction," said the press office of the White House.

"This is a victory for the rule of law," he added. "We maintain our commitment to make our borders safe and complete the wall."

RELATED

Since his 2016 election campaign, Trump promised that he would build a wall along the 3,200 kilometers of the US southern border and that Mexico would pay for that work, undertaken with the intention of preventing illegal immigration.

On December 17, the interim director of the Customs and Border Protection agency, Mark Morgan, said that since Trump arrived at the White House in January 2017, the construction of a wall about 150 kilometers has been completed , of which 135 kilometers correspond to the replacement of existing structures.

The court of appeals based in New Orleans (Louisiana) on Wednesday annulled the restrictive order issued last month by federal district judge David Briones in El Paso (Texas).

Also read: How the US border wall and Mexico became a Christmas meeting point

Two of the judges of the appeals court, Edith Johnes, appointed by President Ronald Reagan, and Andrew Oldham, appointed by Trump, indicated in their vote that there are "substantial probabilities" that the plaintiffs – the city of El Paso and the Network of Human Rights on the Border – they have no legal position to claim.

For his part, Judge Stephen Higginson, appointed by President Barack Obama, in his dissent held that he was not convinced that the Department of Justice had a solid argument to win the case or that there was a great emergency that justified the annulment of the Briones order.

In addition: Trump's border wall can cause floods, experts warn

In February 2019, after a budget dispute with Congress that led to a partial closure of the federal government, Trump declared that there was a national emergency that required the use of some US $ 6 billion allocated to military spending and fighting drugs to finance the wall.,

Congress had approved just US $ 1,375 million for improvements in the physical barriers already existing at the border, and Trump's decision motivated legal demands from groups advocating for immigrants, environmental defenders, the governments of 20 states and the Chamber of Representatives, of democratic majority.

In May, a federal judge in California filed an order preventing the Trump Administration from using an initial game of US $ 2.5 billion in military funds, on the grounds that that decision violated the Constitutional attribution of Congress over federal expenditures.

The Government appealed and in July the federal Court of Appeals of the Ninth District refused to cancel the order of the judge of Oakland.

Related content:

> Mexico rejects that the United States can send its asylum-seeking citizens to Guatemala
> Guatemalans take care of other Guatemalans in immigration courts
> The US $ 100 million for the development of Central America will last ten months, says Mexico

SEARCH FOR MORE

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

63 + = 71