Donald Trump Reiterates Support For The Return To Democracy In Venezuela, Cuba And Nicaragua

This Tuesday at a campaign event held in Florida for the 2020 elections in the United States, President Donald Trump reiterated that his administration is proud of the support given to Venezuela, Cuba and Nicaragua for the return of democracy.

“We proudly support the great people of Venezuela, Cuba and Nicaragua and their right to fight for freedom. And those who try to impose the horrors of socialism in our country, I say it again tonight, the United States will never be a socialist country, never, ”Trump said.

RELATED

Also read: United States: the "goal" is to suspend Nicaragua from the OAS

The US president has been characterized by strong sanctions policies against those responsible for the deterioration of democracy and human rights violations in Nicaragua, Cuba and Venezuela.

In his speech, Trump emphasized that they will continue to support the three countries until the return of fundamental freedoms in the nations is achieved. "We are proudly supporting the people of Venezuela, Cuba and Nicaragua, who are giving the legitimate battle for freedom."

Similarly, the Acting Assistant Secretary of State of the United States for the Western Hemisphere, Michael G. Kozak, said Tuesday on his Twitter account that the United States is taking measures for the return of democracy in Nicragua.

You may be interested: Donald Trump maintains that Nicaragua's dictatorship is "a threat to the security of the United States"

«The United States is taking steps to restore democracy in Nicaragua. A year ago POTUS (official account of President Trump on Twitter) took action and began sanctioning high-ranking Nicaraguan officials. Tragically, the Ortega regime continues to repress and abuse Nicaraguans. We will continue to hold them accountable, ”he said

The U.S. is taking action to restore democracy in #Nicaragua.

One year ago @POTUS took action & began sanctioning high-level Nicaraguan officials. Tragically, the Ortega regime continues to repress & abuse Nicaraguans. We will continue to hold them accountable. #NicaActionNow

– Michael G. Kozak (@WHAAsstSecty) November 27, 2019

United States security threat

On November 27, 2018, the Trump administration declared the regime of Daniel Ortega and Rosario Murillo a threat to the security of the United States, which it ratified on Monday.

"Nicaragua continues to represent an unusual and extraordinary threat to national security and US foreign policy," he said.

On November 27, 2018, through Executive Order 13851, Trump declared a national emergency in accordance with the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 USC 1701-1706).

Also read: Who are the new ones sanctioned by the United States and why

In the new statement, Trump stressed that they will remain alert for another year, in accordance with the risk it represents against the security of the United States.

“For this reason, the national emergency declared on November 27, 2018 must continue in force after November 27, 2019. Therefore, in accordance with section 202 (d) of the National Emergency Law (50 USC 1622 ( d)), I am continuing for a year the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13851 regarding the situation in Nicaragua ”.

Also, the spokeswoman for the US Department of State, Morgan Ortagus, wrote on her Twitter account that they will continue to hold the Ortega regime accountable until fundamental freedoms are restored.

«This week last year realDonaldTrmp (the second official account of President Trump on Twitter) signed an Executive Order calling on the Ortega regime to undermine democratic institutions and repress Nicaraguans. We will continue to hold the Ortega regime accountable until democracy and fundamental freedoms are restored in Nicaragua, ”he wrote.

This week last year, @realDonaldTrump signed an Executive Order calling out the Ortega regime for undermining democratic institutions & repressing Nicaraguans. We will continue to hold the Ortega regime accountable until democracy & fundamental freedoms are restored in Nicaragua. pic.twitter.com/Sp40P2Hwj9

– Morgan Ortagus (@statedeptspox) November 27, 2019

OAS suspension in progress

On Monday, the Permanent Council of the Organization of American States (OAS), addressed in a session the report prepared by the High Level Commission on the situation in Nicaragua.

In it, the US ambassador to the agency, Carlos Trujillo, mentioned that they will continue to press for the application of article 21 of the Democratic Charter.

The "goal," explained the representative of the United States to the OAS – one of the countries that make up the commission – is that in extraordinary sessions, Article 21 of the OAS Democratic Charter is invoked, suspending Nicaragua from the agency.

"The dialogue will not exist as long as what happens in Nicaragua continues to happen," Carlos Trujillo told reporters as he left the session.

Recent sanctions

Last Thursday, November 7, the United States Department of the Treasury sanctioned three allied officials of the Ortega regime: Ramón Avellán, deputy director of the Orteguista Police (PO), Lumberto Campbell; Chief Justice of the Supreme Electoral Council (CSE), and Roberto López, director of the Nicaraguan Institute of Social Security (INSS).

Also read: The Orteguista Police commits terrorist practices and must be degraded to a criminal group, say human rights experts

With them, the list of sanctions for altering the democratic order, corruption and violation of human rights, was extended to 14 officials of the Ortega-Murillo regime.

Trump's latest statements indicate that his administration will not change policies against the authoritarian regimes of Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela.


SEARCH FOR MORE

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

64 + = 65