Washington – US defense officials say they are concerned about a possible internal attack or other threat from troops who will participate in security during the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden, before which the FBI will examine each of the 25,000 soldiers from the National Guard who will come to Washington for the event.
The massive undertaking reflects the extraordinary security concerns that have gripped Washington in the wake of the deadly January 6 uprising on the federal Capitol by pro-President Donald Trump protesters. And it hints at fears that some of the same people assigned to protect the city over the next few days could pose a threat to the incoming president and other prominent figures in the audience.
Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy told The Associated Press on Sunday that authorities are aware of the potential threat, and warned commanders to be on the lookout for any problems in their ranks as the inauguration approaches. However, so far he and other leaders say they have seen no evidence of threats, and officials said their reviews have found nothing wrong.RELATED
“We are continually reviewing the process, and taking a second and third look at each of the individuals assigned to this operation,” McCarthy said in an interview after he and other military leaders conducted a comprehensive three-hour security exercise in preparation. for the investiture on Wednesday. He said that members of the Guard are also being trained to identify possible internal threats.