Subscribe for notification
Categories: Health

Government Installed Field Hospital In Providencia

The Ministry of Health confirmed the installation of the health infrastructure on the island. Efrain Herrera / Colombia Presidency / Handout via REUTERS

The Minister of Health and Social Protection, Fernando Ruíz, announced that a field hospital was installed in Providencia, after the island’s medical headquarters was destroyed by the passage of Hurricane Iota.

The minister reported that the field hospital, located in the Providencia skating area, covers an area of ​​500 square meters.

“We are going to have a series of complete services in what has to do with external consultation, emergency care, procedure rooms. Also, a room for isolation with a special tent, with a particular circulation of air, for the management of respiratory risks. ”, Minister Ruíz explained.

The official added that a clinical laboratory will be installed in the medical structure in order to provide a complete medical service, and that in addition, the hospital will have an electrical plant that will allow it to remain in operation.

The medical center will also have the capacity to house the health personnel who are paying care in the place.

Ruíz also indicated that the installation of the field hospital will facilitate “the full capacity of first-level care and specific attention” for emergencies in San Andrés and Providencia, with the possibility of being able to make transfers by air ambulance.

“We are very satisfied with having fulfilled that capacity to which the program, already set up by the National Institute of Health, of epidemiological surveillance, with a staff that is already in San Andrés and Providencia and also with the administration of programs for the care of the population with chronic diseases, such as diabetes and hypertension. ”, said the Minister of Health.

According to the Minister of Housing, Jonathan Malagón, the damage left by the Iota in the archipelago, caused 100% damage to the houses, where about 80% belongs to total destruction, and the other 20% to partial destruction. For that reason, last Wednesday, November 18, President Duque declared the Archipelago a disaster area.

“Declare the existence of a Departmental Disaster situation in the Archipelago of San Andrés, Providencia and Santa Catalina and their keys, for a term of twelve months, extendable up to an equal period, prior favorable opinion of the National Council for Risk Management . ”, Indicated the decree that was signed by President Iván Duque.

According to statements given by Minister Malagón from San Andrés, he said that the total reconstruction of the infrastructure in the area is expected to be completed by 2022.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN

Fausto Newall, the fisherman they were looking for in Providencia, appeared

This was the day of storms this Thursday in Bogotá

Government will partially restore power in Providencia

READ MORE WAB NEWS

This website uses cookies.