A couple residing in nearby Phoenix, Arizona fell ill half an hour after taking chloroquine phosphate. The man died upon arrival at the hospital, while the woman was able to vomit much of the product.
“Given the uncertainty surrounding covid-19, we understand that people are trying to find new ways to prevent or treat the virus, but self-medication is not the way,” said Dr. Daniel Brooks, medical director of the Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, where the couple entered.
“The last thing we want now is to flood our emergency departments with patients who they believe have found a vague and risky solution that could put their health at risk,” added Brooks.
We answer some questions about what works and what doesn’t for the coronavirus: