Your browser does not support iframes.
The president, Donald Trump, announced Friday the departure of the interim secretary of National Security, Kevin McAleenan, who had served in office since last April.
In a message on his Twitter social network account, the president congratulated the official who until now had been responsible for directing immigration policy.RELATED
“Kevin McAleenan has done an exceptional job as interim secretary of National Security. We have worked well together with border crossings far below. Kevin now, after many years in government, wants to spend more time with his family and go to the private sector …, ”Trump said.
Congratulations Kevin, for a job well done! I will announce the new interim secretary next week. Many wonderful candidates! ”
Kevin McAleenan has done an outstanding job as Acting Secretary of Homeland Security. We have worked well together with Border Crossings being way down. Kevin now, after many years in Government, wants to spend more time with his family and go to the private sector….
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 11, 2019
This is the fourth National Security secretary who leaves office during the Trump Administration. In three years he was preceded: John Kelly, Elaine Duke and Kirstjen Nielsen, in that order.
McAleenan thanked the president in your Twitter account and said he will work with the White House to help with the transition in the Department of Homeland Security.
"With your support, in the last six months, we have made tremendous progress in mitigating the border and humanitarian security crisis we face this year," McAleenan said. During its administration, the Government signed immigration agreements with Mexico and Central America.
And from its roof in May, apprehensions at the border have decreased by 65%, each month with fewer migrants trying to cross the border irregularly.
But the secretary faced harsh criticism for his work implementing Trump's tough immigration policies.
This Monday, for example, he was forced to abruptly leave the podium during an immigration conference at Georgetown University, Washington, after being interrupted multiple times by activists defending the rights of migrants. "Immigrants are under attack" and "children are under attack," they shouted at the official.
McAleenan took over the department after Kirstjen Nielsen was expelled in April, in part because he had refused to restore the policy of separating children from their families on the U.S.-Mexico border, government sources told the chain NBC at that time.
McAleenan said he did not plan to resume the separation of families on the southern border, claiming it was not worthwhile from the point of view of law enforcement, during an interview on the NBC network.
At the end of July, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said in a court presentation that the Trump administration continued to separate children from migrant parents at the border, despite a senior official to family separation policy in June of 2018.
More than 900 children were separated from their parents since the practice was supposed to be over, the ACLU said in court documents.
In an interview with Telemundo News, where there was talk about the separation of families and raids against undocumented migrants, McAleenan said that complaints against employers and not just workers had increased.
Asked if he considered an error of the Administration to have instructed family separation, he replied that everything was done according to the law and in the interest of children. The Department of Health has "on average 8,000 children in custody," he added in the September 17, 2019 interview.
The DHS director says there will be no ICE operations in shelters during Hurricane Dorian
The separation of immigrant families was not successful in the long term, says the DHS secretary