The president of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, denounced this Thursday that “the fugitive from justice Leopoldo López is using the Spanish embassy (in Caracas) to conspire” with the purpose of overthrowing him and killing his country’s political and military leaders.RELATED
In statements offered from the Miraflores presidential palace in Caracas, Maduro said he supports the actions announced today by the Venezuelan Prosecutor’s Office to investigate opposition leader Juan Guaidó and retired general Cliver Alcalá for being part of an alleged coup attempt to its overthrow.
“The attorney general has already announced actions that I will support as head of state, I will support all orders, I am ready and firm for justice,” said the president.
Maduro said he had asked his Foreign Minister, Jorge Arreaza, to contact the Spanish authorities, since Alcalá has linked opposition leader Leopoldo López, who is a guest of the residence of the Spanish ambassador to Venezuela, with the alleged conspiratorial plan.
According to the Venezuelan ruler, Alcalá maintained that López “from the Spanish Embassy in Caracas knew everything, was aware of and agreed.”
For this reason, he added, he has asked his chancellor to make arrangements with the Government of Spain “to take action on the matter because from his embassy in Caracas they are conspiring to kill political and military leaders of Venezuela.”
Maduro reiterated his denunciation of an alleged violent plan, which is organized on Colombian soil and under the orders of the United States, to attack Venezuela, so he called on the Venezuelan military authorities to be vigilant in containing these possible attacks.
“Alert, prepared for combat where necessary, when necessary and with all the combat capacity necessary, understood? Understood. We are ready for combat, we are not cowards, we are warriors, we want peace, but we are ready for combat, “he assured.
He also denounced that, as part of the actions of the organizing group of the violent plan, in which Juan Guaidó was involved, “last week they attacked Punta de Mata to take the gas from us, and they took the gas from us for two days.”
On the other hand, the Venezuelan president described as “extravagantly extremist action” and “vulgar” the accusation made this Thursday by the United States against him and a dozen of his senior collaborators for alleged drug trafficking, money laundering and terrorism.
“The Donald Trump government, in an extravagantly extreme, vulgar action, launched a series of false accusations,” said Maduro, accompanied by the president of the official National Constituent Assembly (ANC), Diosdado Cabello, and Defense Minister Vladimir. Godfather, two of the 14 figures from Chavismo to whom the US authorities They investigate those charges.
He pointed out that “like racist 19th century cowboys, they put a price on the heads of revolutionaries who are ready to fight them in all fields.”
In Maduro’s opinion, the accusation of the United States “is an act of madness” that will leave “damaged” President Trump.
“We have our morale intact, Venezuela has the record of the fight against drug trafficking in the last 15 years since we kicked the DEA (US Department of Drug Enforcement) out of here,” he concluded.