Washington – Melania Trump’s return to the US election campaign will have to wait.
The first lady decided not to accompany President Donald Trump to a campaign rally Tuesday in Erie, Pennsylvania, due to a persistent cough after contracting COVID-19, said her chief of staff Stephanie Grisham.
It was to be her first public appearance since she had recovered from the coronavirus and her first time at rallies in more than a year.RELATED
The first lady’s announcement served as yet another reminder to the president that as much as he wishes the virus to “go away” – as he has said – it is still a powerful presence in everyday life, including his own.
Trump said Monday that people are tired of hearing about COVID-19. More than 58,000 Americans test positive for the virus each day and more than 700 die daily from the disease.
Grisham added that Mrs. Trump continues to feel better every day, but that she preferred to postpone the trip “as a precaution.”
The last time the first lady appeared in public was accompanying her husband to the September 29 debate in Cleveland between Trump and Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden. She and the president tested positive for the new coronavirus two days later.
The first lady announced last week that she had recovered from COVID-19 after suffering headaches, body aches and fatigue, and that her latest diagnostic test came back negative. It also revealed that the couple’s 14-year-old son, Barron, had contracted the virus but never had symptoms and that his diagnostic tests are now negative.
The president’s wife is expected to accompany him to Nashville, Tennessee, Thursday for his second and final debate against Biden before the Nov. 3 election.
President Trump spent three nights in a military hospital outside Washington receiving treatment for the disease. He was discharged on October 5 and actively campaigned again last week.