North Miami Beach, Florida – A Miami-Dade fire marshal told families of people missing in the rubble of a collapsed residential building that the rest of the building is planned to be demolished Sunday.
Fears have intensified in recent days that the damaged structure could collapse, endangering crews working at the site and making the search for victims even more difficult.
Deputy Fire Chief Raide Jadallah said in a morning report to relatives that the demolition of the building would take place “as soon as possible. First thing in the morning ”.RELATED
However, “there could be some setbacks,” he added. In the next few hours a meeting will be held to finalize the details of the demolition, a dangerous operation because it requires experts to enter the building to place explosives.
Friends and family erected a makeshift memorial with photographs of people who have not yet been located and who are believed to be in the rubble of the Champlain Towers South condo. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
On Friday night, the mayor of Miami-Dade, Daniella Levine Cava, indicated that they have not rescued anyone else, the number of deaths remains at four and the number of missing at 159 (Fernando Medina / Special El Nuevo Día)
So far, 127 people have been located (not necessarily rescued at the scene). (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
In the photo, a makeshift memorial near the scene where families have posted photos of their disappeared. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
Levine Cava, warned that the search and rescue mission became dangerous due to the fires that have arisen under the rubble that remained after the partial collapse of the structure. In the photo, photos of the missing. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
In the photo, Miami Mayor Daniella Levine comes to a makeshift memorial near the scene where families have posted photos of their missing. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
People arrive around the Champlain Towers South building, on June 25, 2021. (Fernando Medina / Special El Nuevo Día)
In the photo, coffins ready at the response center. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
The figure at the moment and from early in the morning is 4 dead and 159 missing. At least six Puerto Ricans are among those who have not yet been located. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
In the photo, volunteers bring food and drink to first responders. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
“The good news is that we have the best firefighters and rescuers in the world who know how to deal with a situation like this. If they are hopeful, so are we, ”said the Miami-Dade mayor. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
The Champlain Towers South Condominium partially collapsed around 1:30 a.m. on Thursday, prompting a strong mobilization of authorities in the city of Surfside in Miami-Dade County, in the southern state of Florida. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
This is how the building was. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
In the photo, Jaime Rosenheim prays for his friend IIan Naibryf who disappeared in the building. (Fernando Medina / Special The New Day)
Fears of a spontaneous collapse have made the search difficult in sectors near that section, and the movements detected on Thursday morning forced the search to be suspended for 15 hours.
Jadallah said that the remains of the demolished building will be removed immediately so that rescuers have access for the first time to the sector of the parking lot that is one of the search centers. This could provide a clearer view of possible gaps in the rubble where there may be survivors.
There have been no rescues of people alive since the first hours after the June 24 landslide. The imminence of Hurricane Elsa, which comes from the Caribbean, raises concerns that strong winds in South Florida late Sunday or early Monday will further destabilize the parts of the towers that are still standing.
Today the death toll found in the rubble rose to 24. But there was also some relief. A more in-depth inspection of the list of missing persons reduced the number from 145 to 126 after eliminating duplicate names and some residents who were reported missing but turned up safely, authorities explained. Given this, there are 124 people to find.
Meanwhile, residents of a Miami-area skyscraper loaded their clothes and belongings into suitcases, laundry baskets and carts and left after the order that forced them to vacate the building when it was discovered that it was unsafe after a review triggered by the deadly collapse of another residential property a few kilometers (miles) away.
An audit conducted after the Champlain Towers South collapse in Surfside determined that the 156-home Crestview Towers located in North Miami Beach, about 5 miles (8 km) away, had been declared unsafe in its structure and electrical installation in January. the city said in a statement. On Friday afternoon, authorities cordoned off the area and went door-to-door advising residents that they had to abandon the structure erected 49 years ago.
It is the first building evacuated since municipal authorities in South Florida and across the state began reviewing other older skyscrapers after the Surfside incident, to ensure that major structural issues are not ignored.