Suspect Arrested In Sacramento Shooting That Killed 6

California shooting leaves 6 people dead and 12 injured 0:32

(WABNEWS) — Police on Monday announced the arrest of a suspect in Sunday’s mass shooting in Sacramento who killed six people and injured 12 others.

Dandrae Martin, 26, was identified as a “related suspect” and booked on charges of assault and unlawful possession of a firearm, according to a Sacramento police statement.

RELATED

WABNEWS has contacted Martin’s legal representatives for comment. He is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. PT (6:00 p.m. Miami time).

During the initial investigation, detectives found more than 100 shell casings and discovered at least three buildings and three vehicles that had been hit by bullets.

“There were a lot of shots fired that night, hence the complexity of the investigation,” Police Chief Katherine Lester told WABNEWS affiliate KCRA.

Lester said Sunday that there were multiple attackers and a huge fight ensued before the shooting.

Police have issued search warrants at three homes and have recovered at least one firearm. Authorities said they have received more than 100 video and photo files on a tip website.

The Sacramento County coroner’s office on Monday identified the six victims who died:

Johntaya Alexander, 21 Melinda Davis, 57 Sergio Harris, 38 Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32 Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21 Devazia Turner, 29

Emergency personnel work at the scene of a mass shooting in Sacramento, California, early Sunday.

The tragedy has devastated the families of the victims, confounded the community and angered those frustrated by another mass shooting.

“My son was a young man full of life,” said Harris’s mother, Pamela Harris, to WABNEWS affiliate KOVR. Harris said her son smiled all the time and never bothered anyone.

“And for this to happen is crazy,” he said. “And right now I’m at the point (where) I don’t know what to do. I don’t even think this is real.”

State Attorney General Rob Bonta urged the public to come forward with any information about the shooting.

“Enough is enough. The sickening gun violence plaguing our communities must end,” he said.

“There have been as many mass shootings in America as there are days so far in 2022. My office continues our work to get illegal guns off our streets, hold those responsible for gun violence accountable, and advance, and defend in the courts, common sense gun laws. This work is urgent. We must act now.”

The incident is the second mass shooting in Sacramento in the last five weeks. On February 28, a man fatally shot three of his children and another man in a church. The attacker took his own life, according to authorities.

A senseless mass tragedy

A large crowd had gathered near 10th and K streets when gunfire erupted around 2 a.m. Sunday, Lester said. But he said it’s not clear if the crowd was related to a particular location or event.

Sacramento police crime scene investigators work the 10th street scene.

A video posted on social media appears to show an altercation before the shooting, police said in a statement. “We are currently working to determine what, if any, relationship these events have to the shooting,” the statement said.

Police said part of the incident was caught on a nearby camera.

Lester said a stolen gun was among hundreds of pieces of evidence found at the scene.

The mass shooting occurred in a busy downtown area just blocks from the California State Capitol, Sacramento City Hall and the Golden 1 Center, where the Sacramento Kings played the Golden State Warriors on Sunday night. evening.

“It’s certainly a terrible tragedy. I hope it doesn’t draw attention to our city because I think it’s a great place to be and a great place to live,” Sacramento Kings coach Alvin Gentry said.

“It’s unfortunate that something like this can continue to happen today in an environment where everyone goes out to have fun,” he said. “The issue of weapons has to change. Access to weapons in general, but to automatic weapons is my personal opinion.”

Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr said it seemed appropriate for both teams to observe a moment of silence before the game.

“But I’m going to be honest, it’s probably the ninth or 10th minute of silence I’ve ever experienced as a Warriors coach where we mourn the losses of people who have been killed in mass shootings,” Kerr said. “So I don’t think the minutes of silence are going to change anything.”

READ MORE WAB NEWS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

+ 17 = 27