Taiwan Protests Accusations Of Racism By WHO Director-general

The Government of Taiwan protested and condemned today the accusations of racism that the director general of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, made on Wednesday, who assured that there is a campaign against him of which the foreign ministry was aware Taiwanese.

RELATED

“I strongly protest the allegations that Taiwan is instigating racist attacks in the international community,” Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen said today.

“Taiwan has always opposed all forms of discrimination. For years, we have been excluded from international organizations and we know better than anyone what it feels like to be discriminated against and isolated,” said Tsai, whose country is not part of the WHO by colliding head-on. with the “one China” principle espoused by Beijing.

“The Taiwanese people do not differentiate by skin color or language: we are all brothers. We have never let the impossibility of joining international organizations minimize our support for the international community,” added the president.

Also from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Taiwan they expressed their disagreement with what they called “baseless accusations” and demanded a rectification.

Likewise, in the Taiwanese Foreign Ministry they pointed out that if there had been criticism against Tedros online for his way of handling the health emergency, the Ministry has no mandate or jurisdiction to control them.

At a press conference in Geneva on Wednesday, Tedros focused on alleged insults from Taiwan in response to a question from journalists about whether criticism received from other leaders, such as US President Donald Trump, is complicating the WHO operations.

“Three months ago, this attack came from Taiwan. You have to be honest. I’ll be clear: from Taiwan. And Taiwan, the Foreign Ministry too, knows about the campaign. And they did not dissociate (from it). They even started to criticize me but I didn’t care, “said Tedros.

“I can assure you that there have been personal attacks for more than two and three months,” added Tedros. “Racist comments, insults, ‘black’. I’m proud to be ‘black’. I don’t care. Even death threats. I don’t care.”

This Tuesday, Trump accused the WHO of being “biased” in favor of China and of having been “wrong” in not alerting before the coronavirus, and threatened to freeze the funds that Washington contributes to the organization and that in the period 2016-2017 they accounted for more than three-quarters of their budget.

Tedros also responded to this Wednesday, asking to “quarantine” any attempt to politicize the coronavirus pandemic because this health challenge can only be overcome if countries show internal unity and international solidarity.

This controversy is joined by the one that arose at the end of March following a videoconference interview with the Hong Kong radio television RTHK with the deputy to the WHO general direction Bruce Aylward.

In it, Aylward claimed not to have heard a question about the possibility of Taiwan’s admission to the WHO, ended the call when the interviewer insisted that she wanted to know her opinion about the Taiwanese strategy against the virus and, finally, after a new On call, the interviewee refused to answer it saying that he had already addressed China’s strategy.

To date, Taiwan – a country of 23 million people – has diagnosed 380 infections with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus and five deaths from the resulting COVID-19 pneumonia.

READ MORE WAB NEWS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

8 + 2 =