Miami-The Governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, said that the reconstruction work due to the passage of Hurricane Ian, which sowed chaos in the southwest and center of the state, will take time and that in some areas it will be necessary to start from scratch due to the gravity of the damage, and announced that help will come from other states.
At a press conference this Thursday in the town of Punta Gorda, on the west coast of Florida, one of the most affected areas, DeSantis showed, however, optimism for the prompt arrival of aid from other states.
The governor did not offer information on deaths directly caused by the cyclone, an issue on which he had previously spoken to refer to two deaths that he did not directly attribute to the hurricane, in the sense, he clarified, “that we do not know if they are related to the hurricane ”.RELATED
One of those possible victims is a 72-year-old man from the town of Deltona, northeast of Orlando, who perished early Thursday morning after falling into a canal while emptying his pool amid heavy rain, according to Orlando police. Volusia County, in central Florida.
The director of the Osceola Office of Emergency Management, Bill Litton, told CNN that one person died in that central Florida county, information that other authorities have not confirmed.
“There are areas where you will have to start from scratch because you will not be able to rebuild,” said DeSantis, who noted that in some places, such as Sanibel, a small island located in Lee County, one of the areas on the west coast Florida hardest hit, the damage “was of biblical dimensions.”
He said that there are thousands of operators on the ground trying to respond to all the people affected by the passage of the cyclone through Florida.
“The work to restore normalcy will be 24 hours,” DeSantis said.
“The reconstruction will not be overnight, but help is on the way,” he said about the arrival of teams that will contribute to the restoration of the electrical infrastructure from states such as Louisiana or Alabama, among others.
The damage to the electrical system has not yet been quantified, but the figure of more than 2.6 million subscribers still without electrical service has been released.
“Infrastructure damage will receive federal aid, although there are funds for it in our budgets,” said the governor, who referred in particular to the damage caused by the floods.
“In some homes the water rose up to a foot”, substantial damages to individuals to whom he advised that in the first instance they claim the insurers with which they have subscribed their policies.
DeSantis noted that there are many people who have lost their homes and are temporarily housed in hotels.
The president of the United States, Joe Biden, approved a declaration of a disaster area for nine Florida counties affected by Hurricane Ian, which will allow an increase in federal aid to alleviate its effects, as he had promised DeSantis.
After passing through Cuba and the southwest coast of Florida, Ian crossed this state last night in a northeasterly direction and, at 2 in the afternoon (local time), was about 40 miles northeast of Cape Canaveral (east of Florida) and 275 miles south of Charlotte, South Carolina, according to a bulletin from the National Hurricane Center (NHC).