Janeline Carmona, mother of retired Colombian Army second lieutenant Jheyner Carmona, assured Efe on Friday that her son “is kidnapped” in Haiti, where he is being held for allegedly participating in the assassination of former Haitian President Jovenel Moïse last year.
“My son is kidnapped in that country (…). What I ask is that there be due process,” the woman, who lives in the department of Santander, in eastern Colombia, said by phone.
The statements by Carmona’s mother come just two days after a video was released by local media in which the retired Colombian soldiers detained for the assassination denounce mistreatment, poor nutrition and that they have no legal guarantees in Port-au-Prince.RELATED
“They are without food there, they eat every two days, we know that from the families that have gone there (…). They have to do their bodily needs in the same cell,” he said, adding that “they live in the middle of of rats and the food is taken to them in a wheelbarrow and in that same wheelbarrow they collect the excrement of the prisoners”. He also denounced that “there is no water, its conditions are subhuman.”
Moise was assassinated on July 7, 2021 at his home in Port-au-Prince by an armed command made up of 48 people, including 18 Colombians and 2 Americans of Haitian origin, who were arrested.
Carmona asked for his son “an international court” in which he and his companions are allowed to speak, because “being in that country they cannot speak, there is no judge, there are no lawyers, there is nothing.”
“I know that they want to speak and show the truth to the world and their innocence. I know that my son is innocent, my son was deceived,” the woman said.
Likewise, he said that the cost of the lawyers has been a problem because he does not have the money to pay them, since “each one asks for 800 million pesos (about 200,000 dollars).” “I don’t have that money and they don’t guarantee us anything,” she assured.
Milena Carmona, the partner of the retired second lieutenant, showed her surprise at the video and the letters received in recent days, since they have not been able to have direct contact in 10 months.
“They have not had the right to a call,” he told Efe, adding that the last letters he received arrived “in December with October and September dates.”
The little information they receive is from the honorary consul in Port-au-Prince, Julio Santa, who “tries to go every week.”
“The security issue in that country is very complicated and sometimes it is difficult for him to get to the prison and he explains it to us through audios,” said the couple of the retired military officer.
On the other hand, they have made “diplomatic negotiations” with the UN, the Organization of American States (OAS) and the International Commission on Human Rights (IACHR).
“Proceedings and complaints have been made because their human rights have been violated, the rights of detainees. They are kidnapped in that prison and I say it (they are kidnapped) because they have not been charged,” he added.
Last January, the Colombian vice president and foreign minister, Marta Lucía Ramírez, criticized the ineffectiveness of the Haitian Justice to advance the investigation of Moïse’s murder, since the process against the Colombians has barely advanced.
In a meeting with the press, Ramírez also said that Consul Santa was threatened for defending the rights of Colombians to humane treatment and a fair trial.
The Haitian Prime Minister, Ariel Henry, came to request the help of the United Nations in the investigation of the assassination.
The assassination is also being investigated by the United States Justice, where two suspects are detained, the Haitian Rodolphe Jaar and the Colombian ex-military Mario Antonio Palacios.
Reliable, trustworthy and easy. Multimedia news agency in Spanish.