The search for victims in the apartment building collapsed a few days ago in Surfside (Miami-Dade) has been interrupted this morning for the first time since June 24 due to “movements” in the part that is still standing, according to informed the authorities.
Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava and county fire chief Alan Cominsky have confirmed that operations continue to stop for now. Activity will resume when structural engineers determine what can be done.RELATED
The movements that indicate instability in the construction have been registered around 2 a.m. local time, according to Cominsky.
In one part of “ground zero”, “6 to 12 inches of movement” (152 to 304 millimeters) have been observed, adding to the movement in other parts of the building that is still standing. These movements, added to the displacement of debris, have triggered alerts about possible “additional landslides” that could put workers at risk, he said.
The firefighters’ spokeswoman in Spanish, Erika Benítez, has indicated that the engineers are already working with experts “to develop new strategies to continue.” During the press conference no new fatalities were reported, thus remaining at 18 deaths, two of them children. The missing are 150 so far.
The president of the United States, Joe Biden, and his wife, Jill Biden, have landed this Thursday in Miami, where they plan to meet with the rescuers, survivors and relatives of victims and disappeared of the landslide.
The first item on their agenda will be a meeting with the county mayor and it has not yet been confirmed whether they will visit the scene of the tragedy.
Miami-Dade Police Chief Freddy Ramírez welcomed the Bidens’ visit. “They are going to bring unity to our community, he comes to give support, not to interrupt what we are doing here,” he said.